Hosted for the first time at the University of Minnesota
October 31, 2012 - November 2, 2012
Location and Lodging
A limited number of rooms are being held at a reduced rate. To make reservations using the reduced rate, please reference the Engagement Academy.
University of Minnesota, East Bank
615 Washington Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Map and directions
Housed at Virginia Tech, the Engagement Academy for University Leaders was developed by a national group in 2008, and endorsed by the American Association of State College and Universities, the Coalition of Urban and Metro Universities, and the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities. This national program has received awards for its innovation and quality. The Engagement Academy for University Leaders is designed for executives that have the ability to influence or participate in planning activities that develop strategic operations and policies that further the institutionalization of community engagement.
The purpose of this program is to convene different institutional leaders and units that are committed to public and community engagement and to provide a professional development program that emphasizes leadership development and evidence-based best practices in community engagement. The content and program design will emphasize team development, action-planning, and the benefits of integration and coordination of university-wide initiatives focused on community engagement. While the program is team-focused, individual leaders will also benefit from this instructional design.
The overall objective of this Academy is to develop institutional capacity for leading community engagement. Specific learning outcomes include:
- Developing engagement leaders’ skills and attributes for leading engagement
- Increasing capacity to effectively link community engagement to the institution’s strategic direction and the teaching, research, and service missions of the institution.
- Refining an action plan to advance engagement and link their units to strategic directions of the institution
- Building collaborations and connections within and across institutions.
The program is appropriate for individual engagement leaders and managers. Teams of 2 or 3 are highly encouraged.
The program is especially designed for those professionals currently in, newly appointed to, or aspiring to the following positions:
- Senior administrative positions for Outreach, Extension, and Engagement (e.g., Vice President, Vice Provost, Associate Vice Provost, Presidents, etc.)
- Directors with institution-wide responsibilities for student engagement, service-learning, continuing education, economic development, or community partnership
The academy may also be of interest to:
- Deans, department heads, faculty
- Vice President for Institutional Advancement
- Directors responsible for major gifts, regional or college-based development activities
View agenda (PDF)
- Barbara Holland, The University of Sydney, Australia and Indiana University—Purdue University Indianapolis
- Judith Ramaley, Winona State University
- Lorilee Sandmann, University of Georgia
- David Weerts, University of Minnesota—Twin Cities
Cost Per Person
The Office for Public Engagement is pleased to offer this opportunity at a significantly discounted price.* The cost below includes the programming, including breakfast and lunch for all three days.
- Campus Compact Members: $295 per person
- Other Institutions: $450 per person
*Normal Engagement Academy rate is $3,895 per person